This is the class outline for week 1 of the SCARS 2018 Technician / General Class.
Week 1 Outline
Technician Chapter 1, Welcome to Amateur Radio
General Chapter 1, Introduction
Week 1 Question Pool
Today’s class will concentrate on the above listed topics, and the question pools that you can download here:
How the class works
8 weeks, Feb 6 through April 3, 6:30 pm – 9 pm (1830 – 2100)
We’ll skip March 20th for Spring Break.
Week 8, THURSDAY (April 5) is Exam Night
- We don’t teach you how to pass the test; you do!
- read book!
- take sample tests! (see main class page for sites.
- ask questions!
- The Test
- We believe that you WILL pass the test!
- 2012: 18 took the test, 17 passed on test night, the other passed the 2nd time he took it
- 35 multiple-choice questions, selected “randomly” from pool of 350+ questions
- must answer 26+ questions correctly
- all questions, and their answers, are in your book!
- see main class page for sub-element breakdown
- you can, and should, take “the test” over and over, for free
- again, see main class page page for sites
- Technician Exam Breakdown (35 Questions)
SubElement Subject No. Questions T1 FCC Rules 5 T2 Methods of Communication 2 T3 Radio Phenomena 2 T4 Station Licensee Duties 3 T5 Control Operator Duties 3 T6 Good Operating Practices 3 T7 Basic Comm. Electronics 3 T8 Good Engineering Practice 6 T9 Special Operations 2 T0 Electrical, Antenna Structure and RF Safety Practices 6
- The Course
- some courses just teach what you need to know to pass the test
- we do some of that, but also try to teach you what you need to know to be a ham
- bring $15
- bring legal photo id
- pencil and (optional) calculator
The following is a link to a PDF that provides an outline for this week.