This is the class outline for week 1 of the SCARS Technician class 2013.
Week 1 Outline
Class web page: www.w5nor.org/class2013
- Peter Laws N5UWY
- System Administrator, National Weather Center
- Volunteer Exam (VE) Team Liaison
- Jud Ahern W5JA
- Professor, retired, OU, Geology and Geophysics
- 2 harmonics, Patrick KD5DOH, Kelly W0KKA
- licensed for 47 years (I know, I don’t look my age)
How the class works
- 8 weeks, Jan 17 through Mar 7, 7 pm – 9 pm (1900 – 2100)
- Week 8 (Mar 7) is Exam Night
- bring $15
- bring legal photo id
- pencil and (optional) calculator
- We don’t teach you how to pass the test; you do!
- read book!
- take sample tests! (see main class page for sites or use CD that came with your book)
- ask questions!
- The Test
- you WILL pass the test!
- last year: 18 took the test, 17 passed on test night, the other passed the 2nd time he took it
- 35 multiple-choice questions, selected “randomly” from pool of 350+ questions
- must answer 26+ questions correctly
- all questions, and their answers, are in your book!
- see main class page for sub-element breakdown
- you can, and should, take “the test” over and over, for free
- again, see main class page page for sites or use CD that came with your book
- Technician Exam Breakdown (35 Questions)
SubElement Subject No. Questions T1 FCC Rules 5 T2 Methods of Communication 2 T3 Radio Phenomena 2 T4 Station Licensee Duties 3 T5 Control Operator Duties 3 T6 Good Operating Practices 3 T7 Basic Comm. Electronics 3 T8 Good Engineering Practice 6 T9 Special Operations 2 T0 Electrical, Antenna Structure and RF Safety Practices 6
- The Course
- some courses just teach what you need to know to pass the test
- we do some of that, but also try to teach you what you need to know to be a ham